Some tools belong in a workspace, whether home or office, to help you run your business more effectively - computers, printers, headsets, scanners, and copiers. These tools and many more serve as long-term assets to any enterprise. They make your day-to-day tasks run smoothly and impact your business reputation and sales performance.
Digital storage of documents is considered the best practice in keeping your business record handy and protected, but it requires the right equipment- a scanner. This is one tech tool that your company can’t do without. Today, scanners play an increasingly important role in many sectors, from businesses and government to health care and finance.
Most people think of scanners as only for scanning documents, or receipts. That is not the case. There are many more things you can do with a scanner, which makes it a good investment. So whether you want to go paperless and reduce piles of papers in your space, share, access files or sign documents, a document scanner makes this possible.
We’ll look at four more functions of the document scanner in this guide.
- It's estimated that office workers handle over 10,000 sheets of paper annually. A scanner helps you keep track of your documents, which means you will not lose files, and you can sign documents from anywhere.
- The scanning process is now quick and easy, making it a great way to securely manage and store data without the inconveniences of paper piles.
- Scanning helps with a company document management strategy. With this, it is easy to retrieve, locate, and distribute critical documents with family or colleagues.
- Scanners help you transfer information from any file or image to your computer, so you won't have to type or risk exposing your data to third parties. You can restrict access to your files when digitised.
What Is Scanner Resolution?
A scanner's image resolution is expressed in dots per inch (dpi), which indicates how many pixels are captured by its sensor. Scanners are available in many resolutions and can scan images either in black and white or in colour.
Scanner resolution is important to create clear digital files. The higher the resolution the better the quality of your documents. So you can expect a crisp and more colourful quality for your data.
The number of sensors in the scanning head determines the scanner's resolution.
What Are The Functions Of A Scanner?
The scanner's primary function is to scan or take pictures of a document, digitize the information, display it on your screen, and store it on your connected computer. A document scanner is an input device that transforms your documents into a digital computer-readable format through optical character recognition (OCR). It processes images, graphics, and text, whether handwritten or printed.
When you start to document your business, you will likely need to scan documents. However, depending on your needs, you can find a scanner that works for several functions for your business.
Here are the four functions of a document scanner:
- Copying: Scanners can function as a copy machine; unlike traditional copiers, they allow you to copy and edit your document before printing. You can use a scanner to create a computer file for a flyer, photos, poster, worksheet, or similar files if you don't have a traditional copy machine. You can print as many copies as you want once you connect your computer to a printer.
- Archiving: Digital archiving involves creating and saving digital copies of documents. It is a popular scanning application beneficial to modern businesses that want to protect their data and paperwork. This application is helpful because if your valuable documents like business records are lost or stolen, you can recover the information in them much more quickly if you have more than one copy saved in your Cloud or device. With this, you can always retrieve and search the digital copy anytime when the worst happens. You can archive any document type, such as personal records or assignments, photos, brochures, letters, and tax paperwork.
- Research: This is best if you do research projects more often. It gives you faster and immediate access to information you've worked on, for later reference. For future research, you can scan book sources into your computer and refer to them later without needing the original books or documents for reference.
- Sharing Photos: Scanners not only create digital copies of paper files but also of photos, which is beneficial for those that have old family photos that were never recorded digitally. You can also share the hard copies with your family via the internet or emailed directly to anyone, anywhere. scanners usually include scanning software that lets you resize and modify images.
We’ve seen that document Scanners go beyond just transforming your paper files into digital format. Scanners for your home and office use will help with your overall productivity. It is an efficient way to transfer information from paper to your computer and can make a huge difference in the documentation of your business records.
At Paykobo.com, we’re happy to help you with office solutions that will meet your needs.
Want to read more on gadgets you need to be a smart entrepreneur? Check out the 8 Affordable Gadgets Every Business Needs here.